Access Statement - 2015
The hotel is situated on Weston super Mare’s sea front on level ground with beautiful views of the coast and newly rebuilt Grand Pier.
We have 53 rooms offering double, twin or family rooms.
We aim to provide the highest standards of service to all our guests and encourage this through our culture and detailed staff training. We look forward to welcoming you to the Seward Hotel and making your stay and enjoyable one.
We offer the following services and facilities:
• For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01934 621227
• The centre of the town is a 3-5 minute walk (0.4 miles) or a 1 minute drive to the shopping centre’s car park (The sovereign Centre) which can be accessed via the sea front entrance. From here you can access all of the main shopping areas, High Street etc.
Mobility scooters, wheelchairs and other walking aids can be hired by the hour on the second level of the car park (EzeeMobility - 01934 311199) to enable easier access to the town’s centre areas. There is lift access to/from the multi-storey car park.
• A bus service is available from the Central train Station to the town centre (all buses are accessible) or it is a 5 minute walk on level ground. It is approximately 15 - 20 minute walk from the train station to the Seaward Hotel.
• There is one main taxi company who specialises in accessible taxi service, Apple Central Taxis - 01934 413 413.
• Our website is in the redesign process to incorporate more user friendly font sizes and clearer information and images.
• Our brochures, sample menus and tariffs are available in larger font on request.
• You can contact the hotel by 'phone, email, fax or in person. We are open 24 hours and will respond to emails as soon as possible.
• We have a list of local equipment hirers that is available on request.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• All guests should use the main entrance of the hotel located on Knightstone Road sea front. There are two steps into the hotel reception and also a wheelchair ramp that can be accessed via the paved level patio to the front of the premises.
• The main entrance has two manual push/pull doors.
• There is an alternate drop-off point located in the Midland Hotel’s car park to the right of the premises, this is for dropping off and picking up only, cars must not be left unattended.
• You can access the car park and use the entrance to the hotel from this car park which has level entry.
• There is a medium sized ‘Pay & Display’ car park to the rear of the hotel that can be accessed by driving into Highbury Road (first right past the front of the hotel) and turning first right again. It is a 2 minute walk to and from the hotel.
• If you need assistance with luggage, equipment or guidance, our team of staff are on duty 24 hours.
Main Entrance & Reception
• There are no steps in the main lobby area.
• The front desk is immediately in front of you when entering the main entrance.
• There are a number of sitting areas in reception/lobby.
• Registration can be completed whilst sitting in the reception area and we have clipboards available.
• There is an induction loop installed at reception, staff can advise of best location.
• On check in the staff will brief you of our Evacuation Policy (full details in each room).
• We will help guide you through the registration process if required.
• To the left of the main reception is the restaurant and television/reading lounge areas. To the right of the reception is the bar and lounge area and access to the lift to all floors for guest bedrooms.
• There are no steps or slopes on route or at the entrance to the restaurant, television/reading lounge or bar.
• The floor surface throughout the reception lobby is carpeted as is the restaurant, television/reading lounge and bar areas, except for a small dance floor area which is made of wood.
• Familiarisation tours can be given where required, just ask at reception.
Public Areas - General (Internal)
• The public telephone is located to the left of the reception.
• The lift has tactile buttons at standard height.
• The television/reading lounge and bar areas can be accessed throughout the day/evening.
Public Areas - WC
• There is one set of public toilets adjacent to the bar next to the lift.
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Lounges
• Nearest toilets to bar and restaurant below is as above - public areas WC section.
• There is a restaurant/dining room, television/reading lounge, situated off the main lobby/reception.
•There is a host desk on entry to the restaurant where staff will seat you at a table.
•The restaurant is table service only.
•Menus are available in large print and staff will automatically take you through the menu and choices for the meal.
•It has level access and is open plan with carpeted, even flooring.
•It has tables with legs on all four corners.
•Seating is mixed – some with arms and some without.
• Lighting is mainly natural day light to the television/reading lounge areas as there are large windows overlooking the sea front. Evenly distributed lights are on when required for the restaurant area.
•We are able to cater for varying dietary needs, please advise staff on booking.
• There is a bar & lounge area situated on the ground floor to the right of lobby/reception.
•It has level entry and is open plan with even carpeted and wooden flooring.
•The bar area is on the left
•Table service is offered in the bar
•There is a selection of tables and chairs available.
•Lighting is mainly natural day light (from large windows overlooking the sea front) whilst parts of the bar have low level lighting at night, there are areas which are well lit also by chandeliers.
• There is a public laundrette available within walking distance from the hotel, approximately 3 minutes walk up a slight incline in Greenfield Place Laundry - (0.1 miles) Also Grove Park Laundrette (0.5 miles) 138 High Street, BS23 1HP, offer a similar service - tel: 01934 415975.
Our staff can arrange dry cleaning services if required, please enquire at reception.
• The hotel does not have additional leisure facilities to those described but access to a local facility at Hutton Moor Sports Centre (2.6 miles) can be arranged by local bus or taxi. It has various sports facilities including an indoor swimming pool and gym.
• All facilities have changing areas which are large and have 1 wide cubicle which can accommodate a guest in a wheelchair and their carer.
• The pool access is via graduated steps into the shallow end of the pool. There are rails either side of the steps to assist entry.
• The whirl pool is to the side of the swimming pool and has fairly steep large stepped access down to a seated position. There are rails situated at 3 points around the whirl pool to aid balance into the whirlpool.
• The gym is accessed through doors 100cm wide. Equipment includes: cycling machine, rowing machine, running machine, cross trainer, weights and bars, exercise mats. If you have specific queries about the suitability of equipment please call our trained staff in advance.
• The sauna and steam room have door widths of 85cm and have a small step of 8mm on entry. Seating is provided in both.
• There is a terrace/patio to the front of the hotel where guests can sit and relax over a meal or drink. The area is paved and flat. The terrace has temporary cover (large umbrellas) and has level access to the pavement and promenade across the road from the hotel.
• Some guest rooms to the front of the hotel have private balconies.
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting, Clubs, Entertainment
• We have 2 main conference rooms on the first floor which are accessed via the lifts or staircase to the left of reception.
• Both rooms are reached through double doors (each leaf is 95cm wide)
• Hearing loops are available in both rooms
• Lighting is even but can be dimmed by individual conference organisers by sections.
• Please notify conference organisers in advance if any additional services are required for conferences e.g. interpreters, palantypist, specific seating or staging, we do try to accommodate everyone’s needs where possible.
• There are toilets available between the conference rooms which also have an accessible toilet to the same specification as the public toilets listed above.
• There are 14 accessible bedrooms (4 on each accommodation floor with an additional 2 on the ground floor) which provide specific facilities for guests with disability these include:
Wide but light easy to open entry doors
Level entry showers (in addition some also have low entry baths)
Grab rails around shower (vertical and horizontal)
Self propelled shower wheelchair available on request
Grab rails either side of the toilet – horizontal and vertical
Seat raiser for toilets where required
Storage and wardrobe hanging adjustable to needs
Vibrating pillow and flashing wake up and emergency alarm
Seating and standing level spy hole
Door chime which flashes and vibrates
Transfer space and turning of at least 120cm either side of beds
Twin or double bed combinations available
23cm space under the beds
Emergency procedures clearly written and in large print
Television with Teletext and remote control (mobile hearing loop available on request)
Flooring in bedrooms is short pile carpet
Flooring in bathroom is non slip laminate
Room folders available in large print and Braille
Lighting levels are controllable and reading lamps are provided
Mini-bar fridges are supplied in each room
Room service is 24 hours
Bedding is all non-feather
Bowls can be provided for assistance dogs food and water
• The furniture is flexible in the room and items can be moved or removed on request.
• If you require any assistance during your stay please contact reception. The Duty Manager can also be contacted via reception.
• We have a set evacuation procedure for basic information - Alarm bells are a continuous alarm. Someone will come to your room and assist with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge.
• All front house staff have regular training which includes disability awareness training.
• All housekeeping staff have been trained and are aware of procedures to aid privacy in bedrooms.
• There is good network coverage for mobile phones within the hotel and average coverage from hotel bedrooms. All networks work.
• List of equipment hire companies available on request
• List of carers in the local area available on request
• Address: Seaward Hotel, 44 - 46 Knightstone Road, Weston super Mare, Somerset, BS23 2BD
• Telephone: 01934 621227
• Fax: 01934 631289
• Email: email@example.com
• Website: www.seawardhotel.com
• Hours of operation: Reception 24hours
• Emergency number: 01934 621227
• Local equipment hire companies: EzeeMobility - 01934 311199
• Local public transport numbers: Bus 0845 606 4446 Train 0871 244 1545 or 08447 000125
• Local accessible taxi numbers: Apple Central Taxis - 01934 413 413
• We plan extensive refurbishments to the hotel and guest rooms during 2015/2016.
• We will be increasing the accessibility of our website to include colour contrasting, read facility and increasing the usability for all in 2015.
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve. If you have any comments please phone 01934 621 227or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reserve your room today with our fast and simple online booking form.
Where are we?
- Seaward Hotel
- 44-46 Knightstone Road
- North Somerset
- BS22 2BD
- Tel: 01934 621227
- Fax: 01934 631289
- Email us
- Sat Nav: BS23 2BD